I’ll keep this short and sweet. The methods listed here resulted in a 40% increase in email open rates for a global real estate brand – I know, because I did it.
- Target your email blasts: One size does not fit all. Leverage the information you have on customers: geography, titles, demographics, etc. Use a targeted approach to make content relevant to readers. Promoting an event in Chicago? Send your email to people in that area. Publish a new PR guide? Send your email to PR professionals. Like I said, easy.
- Remember, quality over quantity: You don’t need to write a novel to get your point across. Keep copy succinct and easy to read – and recipients are more likely to open your email next time.
- Test delivery times: You might assume that Friday at 5:00 pm is a bad time to send marketing emails. You might be right – but most email marketing providers offer options for testing things like delivery times and subject lines. I schedule a weekly update email to 3,000+ people every Monday at 6:30 pm. Why? Because I tested and found out that’s when my audience opened emails the most. Use the tools to find the times your emails are most likely to be opened and then schedule them accordingly.
- Responsiveness matters: Choose a mobile-friendly, responsive template since many times, the email will first be seen on a phone or tablet. If I open an email and it doesn’t fit to my phone screen, guess what I do? D-e-l-e-t-e.
- Spread the love: Be sure to include share links in the email. Examples:
“Know someone who might be interested? Forward this email” / “Click to share on Facebook/Twitter/LinkedIn.” You might not think to share an email on social media, but it works! If you do as simple Google search for “share link generator” you’ll find a bunch of free sites to use.
Email marketing is a big part of today’s digital marketing strategy partly because of its low cost, but mostly because it’s easy! Prove yourself even more of a marketing ROCKSTAR in the eyes of your CMO by implementing these 5 methods to increase your email open rates.
As always, if you have a method that works for you, share it in the comments!